Our little country has been under the spotlight for all things good in this last few weeks with Queen Elizabeth II's visit last week and now Obama arriving this morning in Dublin amid high winds and torrential rains.
Weather aside, this is a time for celebration and may I suggest a toast to Ireland with my new favourite tipple.
A glass of chilled prosecco with a brandy soaked raspberry.
- Wash a large 500g punnet of raspberries (unblemished) gently and place them in a sterilised jar.
- Put 8 tablespoons of caster sugar and 4 tablespoons of water into a saucepan and warm to dissolve the sugar. Add 200ml of good-quailty brandy, although not necessarily an expensive one. I used Martell (VS) as that was all there was in the house.
- Pour the sweet brandy over the raspberries and ensure that they are covered completely - they will float a little until all the air pockets have been filled with liquid.
- Allow to cool and place the closed jar in the fridge.
- The raspberries impart a lovely pinkish colour to the brandy, so ensure to add a teaspoon of it to the prosecco along with the raspberry.
Enjoy the sunshine if you can and have a toast to President Obama in Ireland.